Overall Description Of Ferrygateway
The objective for FerryGateway is two-folded:
- Being the predominant leading standard for digital communication within the Ferry Industry
- Enabling the ferry operators and the online agents to sell the full product range to the extent that is feasible to consumers world-wide
- Full product range – except some minor things that is not feasible, e.g. conference & groups
- Flexible fare types – EFP, cruise, single leg, return including description
- Change, amend & cancel – A booking can be retrieved and altered (business rules dependent)
- Rich information – Provided by URL, e.g. to demonstrate cabins, meals etc.
Overall Message Flow
- Get Sailing; Sailing response –> Included services
- Get services; Service response –> Possible services
- Price request; Price response –> Selected services
The above is a very simplified description of the message flow that can have many iterations. FerryGateway message communication is stateless and includes 10 different messages with Request and Response for each of them.
- Static information; Age definitions, Passenger Category, Vehicle dimensions
- Cruise / Mini cruise; Special fare type and a cruise indicator
- Amend and cancel bookings; Recall booking, request for amend/cancel, get price, execute
- Special offer; One offer-code, Validation by the awarding system, possible error message
- Loyalty card; May impact the price, points might be earned, but not used for payment
- Multi-leg; Handled within the same operator. Between operators – to be handled by agent
- Passengers; Adults and Children, if Child then age will be asked for
- Pets; Big dog, Small Dog, Cat or Other. Kennel may be mandatory.
- On-board Accommodation (Cabin, Seat); Available options are presented. Customer can choose and refine. Cabin characteristics include allergic, pet friendly and disabled. Cabin allocation exists.
- Vehicles; Standard definitions exist. Dimensions are provided by operator and includes roof-boxes, bikes on rear etc. Multiple vehicles are supported albeit the operator may have restrictions.
- Customer details; Standardised and include details for the paying customer, passengers and vehicles
- Payment; Terms and conditions to be ticked, but payment is handled by the agent
- Confirmation; Greeting and reservation number plus info on how to print
- In general every service is recognised by its dedicated Code and described by its Description that should include everything that does not have an impact on price or booking content. On-board services can be grouped together to achieve a logical presentation order.
- Priority Boarding; Applies to car – first on-board, late arrival or first off-board. The feature also handles disabled persons.
- Kennel; Applicable options can be chosen, mandatory or not.
- Wi-Fi; Bookable charged Wi-Fi connection.
- Lounge; VIP-lounge, Business lounge or similar. Restrictions may apply.
- SPA; Pre-booking of relax option.
- Event; Special arrangements, e.g. wine-tasting, but can be anything.
- On-board Deluxe; Special service in cabin or restaurant.
- Gift vouchers; Vouchers with monetary value to be used in shops, restaurants etc.
- Meals on-board; Table reservation, All-inclusive and what-have-you – all options presented by description and identified by code.
- Dependent on the awarding system’s capabilities. Customer must get a voucher or ticket to use the service.
- Transfer; Bus or Rail, point to point.
- Destination voucher; Vouchers (free entrance or for discount) to restaurants, parking, sport events, day tours, amusement parks, museums etc.
Companies will be able to download the FerryGateway standard, which will accompanied by documentation. This documentation includes the following sections.
- Interface overview
- Interface technical details
- Interface message details
- Errors and Information messages
- Glossary of terms used
- SLA recommendations
- Example Use-cases